Posted on

Little Forager

I was quite the little forager when I was a kid. I remembered the shape of any plant that I heard was edible and I looked for it everywhere. Unfortunately, I never knew the “real” names of most of my favorite delicacies. Recently, I decided to try and find a few of them.

First, there were my very favorites, “sweet-tarts”, as my friends and I called them. They were the best, because you could find them almost any time there wasn’t snow on the ground. They were darling little shamrock-like plants, with heart-shaped leaves and tiny yellow blossoms. The flavor was delicately lemony then softly sweet. They were most emphatically NOT clovers. I made the mistake of trying to eat clover leaves only once. They tasted like grass. Bitter, nasty, green grass. I discovered that their official name is Yellow Mount Sorrel and you can even cook with them!

 

I must say a word in defense of clovers. Though their leaves were truly horrid, their flowers were heavenly! I loved pulling out the pink-purple flower bits and nibbling the white inside ends off, which were dewy with nectar. The deeper the color on the flower, the better it tasted!

I also tried digging up Queen Anne’s Lace and eating the roots. In my experience, they were almost always tough as an old shoe and only slightly carroty, tasting more like dirt than anything else. But.. y’know. If you’re a kid, just eating something you picked yourself is enough to add flavor.

Then, there were the berries. Plump and juicy, bitter or sweet, but always a most special late summer treat.

There were the furry “rose-raspberries” or “carpet-berries” that burst in your mouth like a dying caterpillar and had a slightly fermented flavor… aka Thimbleberries, or so says our great guru, the World Wide Web.

Then, of course, there were choke cherries. People told stories about them being poisonous-which no kid I knew believed. Although, the wood of the tree even smelled evil! If you broke off a branch, the air would fill with a slight sour odor, closely resembling vomit. The ripe black berries tasted quite good, especially once you acquired a taste for them. The red ones, however, could make you quite violently ill. I witnessed that firsthand, around the time of my tenth birthday.  Some of my friends and I had been daring each other to eat the bright red fruit, because it literally numbs your tongue momentarily on contact. Let’s just say… they ate a few too many and their mothers all called asking what I had done to them. I suppose that it probably didn’t help matters in the suspicion department that I was the only one who wasn’t sick; I guess I didn’t eat enough to hurt me.

Please note: I do not own any of the images in the above post. They are curtesy of a Google Image search and the wonderful photographers who took these shots.
Advertisements

About goatgirlbookworm

My name is Toni Cross, and I was raised on a farm in the far north of the United States. I love to read and write and I hope to use those hobbies in a greater way in the days to come. One of my passions is using whatever influence I have to make a difference in the world.

One response to “Little Forager

  1. slpmartin

    As I kid I also new a few edible plants…many of them I would hunt for my grandmother who was the one who instructed my cousin and I which ones we need to find…she would cook them or prepare wonderful meals from them. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s